Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cowboy Caviar

I am in a book club and each month we go to a different members house and eat the wonderful food that they have prepared.  This week the book we discussed was "Claiming Ground" written by Laura Bell. It is a wonderful story of one woman's life journey. She comes to the state of  Wyoming and begins work as a sheepherder, then a ranchers wife, and eventually finds herself working at the Nature Conservancy outside of Cody. It is only fitting that our hostess served among other things Cowboy Caviar!

Cowboy caviar is a wonderful appetizer that is easy to make. I thought that would be a perfect addition to the blog this time since we are all in need of items to bring to holiday gatherings   

Caviar ingredients:                                                       Dressing ingredients:
1 15 oz. can shoepeg corn                                            1/4 cup olive oil
1 can blackeyed peas                                                    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 avocado, cubed                                                          2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup cilantro                                                             3/4 tsp. sea salt
2/3 cup diced green onions                                           1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped                                          1 tsp. cumin

Chop, drain and mix all "caviar" ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until well blended. Pour dressing over caviar ingredients and stir. Chill covered for at least one hour before serving. Serve with chips, I love pita chips!



4 comments:

  1. This sounds a little like a salsa recipe my mom makes. I don't enjoy it, but everyone who does says it's addictive. I've never tried pita chips, but that sounds interesting too.

    It's neat that the host found a recipe to tie into the book club you attended. That's a fun idea! I bet you could really use your creativity to match up more books and recipes together. Very neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that seems like a "cavier" that I might enjoy! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to look into reading the book you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie, I sure hope you continue to post recipes every now and then. I plan on following and using some of them! I enjoyed working with you partner and I appreciate your guidance. Congrats on finishing and have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete